Sunday, August 20, 2006

And Just Like the Movies

I'm listening to the Superman Theme song for the second time right now. Matt and Corey showed up at random. I decided I wanted to listen to Superman's music. Maybe it was the fact that I watched the first Superman movie (the original) with Adam and Emily today that sparked this sudden want for the opening theme to be playing throughout the house. I don't know, but I'm enjoying it. Now I think I'll move on to something else as the song has just ended. Perhaps Star Wars. Yeah, Star Wars. Ah... there it is.

Corey, Matt, and Kaylee just left to go to the fair. I was also pressured to go, but I was disinclined to go for several reasons. For one thing, and probably the ruling factor, I am trying to save money for school, which is right around the corner. Also, the Wolcott fair has become less and less thrilling for me over the years. The same rides are there each year, and most of the time, the more exciting rides are not all that exciting. This year, from the looks of it, the most intense ride is the boat that swings back and forth. [I'm now on to Indina Jones.] It just doesn't appeal to me.

Sure, I'm missing the traditional, annual town event that pretty much everyone goes to. I'm missing the awesome fried dough that I look forward to every time I go. I'm missing the chance to hang out with friends and family one last time before going back to school. I'm missing the fireworks, the music, the laughter, the sound of screaming children as they face their fear of "big" rides, and the prizes to be received from those rip-off carnival games. But... it's so temporary and mushed together all at once. It seems such a waste. Pay to get in, pay for everything else once you're in.

I don't have any specific memories of years past, either. I can't recall anything crazy happening with a group of friends. One year stands out in my mind. It rained and we were all pushing and shoving under some enormous tent, waiting for it to let up and for the rides to be put back into opperation. But there is not one recollection of a particularly fun experience at the Wolcott Fair. I'm not saying that the times I went were bad, just so uneventful that I can tell myself I'm not missing anything special by not going.

It's never come up in conversation either. Nothing like, "Hey! Remember that one time at the Wolcott Fair when So-and-so barfed all over that lady after riding the Zipper!" or "Dude! Do you remember that time we got stuck on the Ferris Wheel for like an hour and that guy next to us started freaking out?" Nothing. Every year is kind of the same. There are events going on, but nothing eventful happening, if that makes any sense. Or maybe I'm juat trying to convince myself that it's okay not to be there while everyone else is.

Well, I had something entirely different in mind for this entry, but this is the direction I went in. I originally wanted to talk about how today, just for a moment, I felt like I was in a movie. And so my title for this entry shall remain as it is. But perhaps I'll write on that topic some other time.

Peace and love, kittens.

1 comment:

Still Daddy said...

The only memorable moment I've ever had at the Rocky Hill fair was when my dad and I (just the two of us) walked there from my house (because at my old house it was that close) and got french frieds. Not crappy prefrozen french frieds. The real deal. We watched them send a potato through the press, transforming it into sticks which were then fried. Real potato. Real frieds. It was my first time and my dad got all excited about their authenticity. It just happened to be the last thing we stopped at and we ate them all the way home. I like that memory.

Where'd you get all the John Williams music?

And I'm very curious as to when you felt like you were in the movies. Do tell.