Sunday, May 28, 2006

Pre-Joy Ride

My dad and I went to visit my Great Uncle Henry (aka Uncle Hank). He has cancer. He came home from the hospital last week, and they don’t think he has much longer to live. My dad and I took separate cars because my dad had to be somewhere after, and I just felt like driving around. So we got to the house (not too far from my own) and were greeted by Auntie Joan’s sister (Auntie Joan being Uncle Hank’s wife). I don’t remember her name, but she was very friendly. When I saw Uncle Hank in his chair in the living room, I couldn’t even tell he was ill by looking at him. He was thin as usual, and pale. But he had a delighted expression when we came into the room. He stood up to greet us even, but my father told him to sit down. He did, but you would never have guessed this man was dying.Perhaps he was content with his time on the earth and was ready to leave. I wasn’t sure how he felt and didn’t ask.

I sat on the couch and talked to the sister about surface topics mostly, where I was going to school, my intended major, etc. I had never met herbefore, and she didn’t remember me either. Then my dad asked me when I was going to the picnic the following day. I told him I would head over after church. The sister’s ears perked up when she heard me say this and asked where I went to church and how I came to it. I gave a brief storyabout how I used to be Catholic and stuff, and how I was re-baptized atNew Life, accepting Jesus for real. Then she said something like, “You know, as soon as I opened that door and saw you, I knew you were abeliever. I know I’ve never met you before, but I could just tell. There was something different about you.” Something like that anyways. But it was so cool of her to say that! Then we started talking more about our faith and how awesome God is. She told me about how she has a sense for knowing which people are true believers, complete strangers even. She said that she was waiting in an airport once and just happened to notice a few people who carried themselves differently, I guess. She went up to them and asked if they were believers and they were! Then they all hugged each other and everything! It was refreshing to learn that she was so close to the Lord and had also been Catholic at an earlier time in her life, just like me. I also learned from her that my aunt and uncle were believers. I then understood the reason forUncle Hank’s complete look of contentment (or so it was in my mind). He must be prepared spiritually for his journey home, home to his Father in Heaven.

I couldn't help but smile for the visit. As a left to go on my little night time joy ride, I started laughing with joy, almost in tears. It was quite overwhelming. Then I went to the high school and walked about a mile on the track, a prayer walk maybe. And the stars were shining in the chilly clear sky. It was a wonderful night.

No comments: