Sunday, October 15, 2006

You spent how much on what???

I just want break from work. I am grateful that I am actually getting some sleep this semester, but I am just at the point where I could really use a break. I miss my family. I miss my friends. I'm getting sick of these illustation projects. Not because I don't enjoy illustration, but because the deadlines to get assignments done are almost unmanageable. They leave me feeling overwhelmed and helpless at times, like the only way to accomplish anything is to go out on a limb with very limited resources.

For example, our newest piece is to involve a Halloween theme. He really expected everyone to dress up a model in a costume and take reference shots over this weekend. I don't know what other people are doing for their reference shots, but I found out that it is very difficult to get off campus without a car or without someone with a car. I guess some people might have costumes around their dorms, but I know I don't. And even if I did, it would have to work with my idea for the piece and hold to the requirements of the assignment. So that means the whole process is something like... figure out which idea you're sticking to, find a way to get materials or a costume (which pobably means you'll end up spending money on a ridiculously priced something-or-other), find someone specific to model (because if your idea calls for a little kid, you can't just throw a witches hat on a random dude), set up your light source as best as you can, and take as many reference shots as you can because chances are the teacher's only gonna like a couple of them. Then... Print out all your reference and waste a ton of ink on nice glossy paper when he only picks a couple. And on top of all this running around and spending thirty bucks on scratch board, there are big assignments for other classes that must be done.

So my weekend? Betcha think I might've had a hard time. Well, I didn't. I didn't even get to finish everything, but...

I know Superman. He keeps me company while I work, so you can only imagine how awfully wonderful my weekend was.

But I still need I break from work so I can spend more time with Superman, as well as with God.

1 comment:

Still Daddy said...

Kitty,

While these projects are difficult, time consuming, resource devouring and quite frustrating given their miniscule time span available for accomplishment, you have taken them on with the strength of a cookie. A very tough cookie. You know, the ones decked out in SWAT gear with hand grenades, bandoliers of amunition, weapons of all sorts visible and hidden, and the like. That very same cookie that sat beneath the rear tire of my uncle's white pickup as he rolled his way out into the road. It got right back up and presented itself to the kid next door for consumption. You, my dear Kitty, are that same delightfully resilient example of fine bakery. And guess who baked you, knowing you'd have these problems and with full awareness of future needs for the exact chips and other assortments of internal flavorings that He added to your dough? Why the Great Baker Himself.

And while I can in no way and at no time compare to the incomprehensible and lovely genious with which He governs this very world, I can use all of my Superman abilities to stay by your side. To aid you in times of trouble, to laugh with you at times of joy and to hold you when the tears fall.

May the superpowers given us by the Baker continue to uplift and encourage one another as we fight the good fight. Righteous we stand.

--Superman