Saturday, July 29, 2006

Feeling Slightly Convicted

I'm in Rocky Hill right now, typing this up on the Adam's laptops. Adam's actually not here right now. He's doing the music for a wedding but should be home soon. Somewhere in the house, his brother is relaxing, maybe watching a movie or sleeping after the nice long shower he took. Tim and Denise are out at some sort of company picnic, and I've been left alone to some peace and quiet.

This morning, I helped my mom at her place with moving boxes and belonging to Joan's house. Eventually, I would have gone back to my dad's house to be there for his company picnic, but I knew I would just get stuck there with nothing to do except listen to business talk or things I knew nothing about, all the while listening to the same country station (or something similar in terms of music). I'm not saying country is bad, but to listen to the same station for hours can be brutal. As it turns out, I found a tiny window of time that allowed me the opprtunity to hang out with Adam. Originally, we didn't think we'd be able to work it out and find time to get together.

But part of me still feels a bit guilty leaving my dad on such sort notice. He had said my sisters and I didn't have to stick around for the picnic, but deep down I think he wanted us to be there to meet the people he works with. Now that I think about it... He's opening his home to them to honor them for their hard work (he's one of the bosses) and to show them the house where he lives and to meet his family. But his family won't even be there now. I'm here in Rocky Hill, Emily will be at a conncert, and Kaylee might stick around for a little while. He should be able to say to his friends and co-workers, "Welcome to my home. This is the house, and these are my three beautiful daughters." How am I supposed to honor my father if I'm not there?

Don't get me wrong, I want to be here in Rocky Hill, hanging out with Adam. I am very fond of him. But sometimes I can't decide if I'm doing things because I want to, or if God is putting it on my heart to do so. On the upside of being here, I've had some quiet time to myself, which I've used to nap, read, and write this entry. I would not have been able to do so had I been home. On the downside, I am not home where I probably should be. And I feel convicted.

Well, I'm going to spend some time alone with God before Adam comes home.

No comments: