Monday, June 05, 2006

Driving Just To Drive (reader participation encouraged)

It's Monday morning. The sun is finally shining again after a wonderful rainy weekend. I am feeling a bit "under the weather" right now, but I feel like posting something. Not sure what. I'm just getting kind of sick seeing that last entry all the time. This time I want to write something people can actually comment on. Let's see...

Oh, I know!

Okay so last night I was just driving around my town, listening to music. It was really late too be out, like 1:30 am, and so there were almost no other cars on the road. The moon was out and the sky was beginning to clear up, revealing some stars. It was nice. I had brought a book with me in case I decided to stop somewhere. I did. Remembering that gas actually costs a lot more than it used to, I drove up to the high school, parked along side one of the parking lot lamps. I switched the music from The Crystal Method to some softer Barlow Girl songs. I climbed over into the passenger seat to get better light and read some of the book. I was quite sleepy so I made sure not to stay for too terribly long. I was super exhausted when I got home. Perhaps that;s why I'm getting sick... I have such bad sleeping habbits. Oh well... one thing at a time.

What I want to know from you readers, if you were driving that late at night (even if you don't drive, pretend you do for now) :

-where would you go?
-what music, if any, would you listen to?
-would you keep driving until you retuned home?
-or would you stop the car somewhere?
-(basically) what is your ideal late night drive like?
-(or maybe you'd rather drive during the day. Check out the scenery? It's up to you.)

I'm looking forward to the comments for this, so don't be shy. And don't think you have to be super creative. This is your ideal drive afterall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alyssa, It's Adam's mom, Denise. I just found your blog as I was using Adam's computer and it is on his favorites. So, I read a bit. Wow.. you are brave.. I wouldn't stop anywhere that late at night. I do like to drive on backroads during the day. I love to listen to this Irish Christian singer, Robin Mark and other Christian artists, or classical. I love to take in the scenery and just admire what God has given us. I HATE highways, and will drive way out of my way on backroads. I like cloudy days to drive and windows open..no a/c (so not too hot out). mmm.. can't remember the rest of the questions.. Hope to see you soon. I love you. xo

Anonymous said...

Hey Alyssa. If I was driving maybe I would go to the marina, seeings on how that's like the only place I know how to get to, even though it is a bit far. I would be listening to The Goo Goo Dolls or maybe some Eve 6. And if I did make the effort to drive that far I would have to get out for a little while. Probably at 'the point' where you can see the river and the lights of the houses across the way. You can also see the sky really well with all it's stars if it's not cloudy. There's a big rock under a tree with heart-shaped leaves that I like to sit on, but there is also a picnic table too. That's one of the only places I would probably feel safe enough to get out of my car at night. I'm way paranoid about bad things happening.
Ideally I would like for it to be on the warm side so I could open my windows. I like driving with my windows open. I wouldn't want it to be too hot though bc the ac in my car doesn't work. I would like the sky to be clear and full of stars. An occasional car would pass by going in the opposite direction and I would wonder where they were going at such a late hour. It would be really cool to see a dear in the woods not too far from the road too.
There would also have to be no people on bike or walking at that time bc I hate when people do that so late when it's dark out. Of course I probably would prefer to drive during the day so I'd be less paraoid about bad things that culd happen. Anyways.. Sea ya! (O:

-Heather

Still Daddy said...

I would go some place secluded; some place that only i knew about. Perhaps a ranger's tower or a bare spot atop a mountainous hill (not quite as high as a mountain, but certainly higher than a hill), overlooking a vast and unscathed wilderness. Maybe a spot by the ocean, waves lapping tranquility against the sand under my bear feet. I might just park at the edge of the shore and stare out over the waters, not daring to disturb the scene by exiting my vehicle.

I can't imagine driving anywhere and not at least stopping to enjoy a moment away from that which i've driven from. Even if i didn't get out to do so. And especially when the moon is full.

One of my favorite such moments, which i hope to recreate or refresh some day, was a drive with a friend down to the ferry one winter's eve. The river had partially frozen and massive chunks of ice were floating downstream in the night. I got out and could hear them crushing up against one another as they passed through. The moon was full and i could make them all out like frozen tectonic plates causing small earthquakes amongst themselves as they shifted their way down. It was the only thing i could hear over the stillness of winter. It was absolutely beautiful.

What would i listen to...I might put on some Nick Drake, Norah Jones, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, John Coltrane or just a random mix of mellow, peaceful and pensive songs. Perhaps something wordless like Chopin or a good piece by Mozart or Beethoven. A soundtrack or two by John Williams or Thomas Newman even.

That's my ideal late night drive. I like to drive in the day too but there's something about a moonlit night that surpasses all else. That soothing blue glow that it casts over the landscape.

I could go for one right now.