Sunday, April 02, 2006

My Very First Opera!

I saw my very first opera tonight. It was neat! Lots of very good singing. First, I went to dinner with Chels, where we sat with Dave, CJ, Sarah, and some other people. They were all going to the show, too. CJ had told me everyone was dressing up, so I figured out my outfit beforehand. Chels and I left dinner a bit early so we could check out the opening for the sculpture dept. at the Silpe Gallery. Then we headed back to the room to get ready. Chels decided to join me which was cool cuz she had a better idea of where the right auditorium was. So we got there and met CJ and them, but no one was dressed up except for Dave. So I definitly felt over dressed, but it didn't matter because I got to wear really cute shoes and a skirt and stuff. Woot! There were two separate performances as pat of the same show, and the time between them was like intermission.
The first performance takes place in a radio station from the 30's and is about this woman and her maid who take in a handsome beggar man named Bob. They convince him to stay for a long time because they think he's an escaped convict and don't want to get in trouble for hiding a fugitive. They end up stealing money and alcohol for him, thinking it'll make him want to stay longer, when really he has no idea what's going on and just wants to leave. I won't give away the ending just in case you decide to see it. My friends PJ and Margaret were in it. They did a great job!
The second one is a western theme. It's supposed to be a trial taking place or something. And actually I didn't pay as much attention to what was going on in that one. I was more interested in the movement of the actors and dancers and what my friends were doing. Morgan was the Indian maiden. She was so cute with the long black braids on her head and the cool boot-like things. Kim was the minister's wife. She had this bonnet on, and her face was so pretty and pure looking. Then there was Jon Pardo who was one of the random westerner guys. He totally looked the part with his facial hair unshaved, and he even had the funny task of throwing a rope with a noose over a fake wooden rafter. It took him several tries, but that was the point. He pulled it off really well. And I really liked the costumes of the line dancers, with the feathered hair pieces and the bright pink ruffled dresses with black trim. It reminded me of me and my friends when we dressed up like that for a picture at Six Flags during our senior trip.

Anyways, after that, I went back home (to my room) and finally took the shoes OFF! *sigh of relief*... for my feet. Then a happy shower and a clean, fresh shave for my legs, which always feels good afterwards! Now, I'm just distracting myself further from getting work done... as usual. But hey, I didn't do too bad today! I got some of my interview typed up. And Craiggy is back so Chelsea is super happy! Yay! And he brought back brownies for us, but of course I can't have them yet still. Oh yeah... dunno if I mentioned my ridiculous idea of giving up chocolate for Lent. I guess it's a good sacrafice since I really LOVE chocolate!
Okay! Now I'm just babbling! I wanted this entry to be short and sweet and only about my first opera experience, but I guess it's just impossible for me to write a short entry. Unless of course I'm just updating with a song that I'm listening to.

Peace and love kids!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Corey again, not that I need to specifie as there is no real reason for me to be posting anyway just one simple qustion, that now that I think about it is simplee too privte to mention here so use aim and I will talk to you about it there.